Thursday, June 12, 2014

17 Personal Care Products You Will Never Have To Buy Again #6

17 Personal Care Products You Will Never Have To Buy Again


17 Personal Care Products You Will Never Have To Buy Again

Homemade DIY Deodorant (secret ingredient, NO irritating baking soda, EFFECTIVE recipe)!

Do you realize how important health is from the inside out AND the outside in? Scratch Mommy Skincare has got you covered! 
Check out my 100% organic body butters, lotions, lip lotions, sunscreens, bug solutions, and more HERE
Thanks for visiting!
Honestly, I don’t sweat that much.
TMI?
I mean, I wish that I would sweat more (as weird as that might sound). Sweating is your body’s natural way of ridding toxins, so it’s really a good thing. On occasion, I do wear deodorant, especially if I know I’ll be in a situation where I’ll likely sweat.
Since I started my *real* journey toward better health from the inside out AND the outside in, I’ve been going through all of my products and eliminating toxic ingredients…things that are bad for me and the environment. Here is a simple, easy read regarding deodorant and antiperspirant (which I will never use again). I looked at the label on my deodorant at home and was shocked. It was jam packed full of nasty, harmful ingredients. It’s pretty scary, really.
Many deodorants (even those that claim to be “all-natural”) contain aluminum &/or aluminum derivatives (as these serve as an antiperspirant…which we do NOT want). This has been linked to Alzheimer’s disease and a  host of other horrific health concerns. Parabens are in many deodorants…also downright despicable. Read this post I wrote a while back to learn more about parabens.
Sooooo, off I went to create my own homemade DIY deodorant recipe. It had to be effective, yet gentle, and (of course) non-toxic.
DeoMain

Now, I know what you might be thinking…
Yeah, and there are already about a million other homemade deodorant recipes out there.
Yup, there sure are. But now, there are one million and ONE. Hehe.
I am proud of my deodorant because it contains a few ingredients you may not typically see in deodorants and I’m not really sure why.
I’m ready to share it with you. It is effective, said by not only me (the not-so-heavy-sweater), but also by my husband (probably-your-typical-sweater). Oh, and it’s easy, to boot. Yay!
2ozDeoCloseUp2
First, a little education about why I am using each ingredient…

Coconut & Almond Oils
Raw, unrefined coconut oil has wonderful antibacterial properties. This is important in those armpits, right? Coconut oil will liquify at 76 degrees; below that and it’s in a semi-solid state. I like to add another oil to help the deodorant stay more fluid, if you would. Enter almond oil.
I’ve already written a bit about almond (and coconut and jojoba) oil here. You’ll see below that you can easily substitute a different oil that is liquid at room temp oil, but I really like almond oil.
Shea ButterThis is another one of those amazing things that nature gives us. Raw and unrefined shea butter is high in vitamins A and E and is incredibly soothing for your skin. Sounds like a good thing to put in such a vulnerable place, like your armpits, huh!? You can read more about shea butter here.
Beeswax
Raw beeswax (all-natural, unrefined, no additives, etc.) helps to stabilize this recipe so it isn’t runny. Beeswax is another inherently excellent choice in skincare products, as it does not clog pores, but it does help the moisturizing properties of the butters and oils in this recipe to ‘lock’ into your skin so they can do their jobs.
Arrowroot Powder
This is a go-to for deodorant recipes, for good reason. Actually, I always have some on hand for both food and skincare recipes. Arrowroot not only helps to serve as a thickener in this deodorant, but it also has the power to help draw out toxins. Sweet! Since when we sweat we are eliminating toxins, why not help draw them out!? Learn more about arrowroot here.
Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
Here’s where things may really get a bit different than what you typically see in homemade deodorant recipes. Food grade DE is another super thing to keep around your home. I use DE in my toothpaste, garden, once to rid my house of a few fleas, as a means to exfoliate, etc etc etc!
DE is almost entirely silica, which is a crucial trace element needed by our bodies, and one in which many are deficient. By adding DE into your homemade deodorant, you are giving your sensitive skin a nice dose of DE (essentially, silica) which helps with sensitive areas of skin that might become rashy and it also helps to draw out toxins.
So, not only does DE help draw out moisture and remove toxins, but it also helps to ease sensitive skin. Win! You can read more about DE here. Oh, and remember to purchasefood grade DE (and don’t breathe it in…best not to get it into your lungs as it is super finely ground stuff).
Vitamin E
I’ve written a pretty extensive post about Vitamin E here.
DeoMeltingOils&Wax
Okay, now that you’ve been schooled on the ingredients, finally…the simple recipe.

Homemade Deodorant (4oz)
Supplies/Ingredients-
  • 4oz+ jar or tin (something like THIS would work well)
  • Double-boiler (I make my own with a glass bowl over a pot)
  • Kitchen scale (like THIS; BTW…having a scale is a great investment in your kitchen and I use mine almost everyday)
  • 30g Coconut oil (like THIS)
  • 20g Shea butter (like THIS)
  • 10g Oil (I like almond oil like THIS, but you could use many oils that are liquid at room temperature…like avocado, jojoba, apricot, etc.)
  • 10g Beeswax (like THIS)
  • 15g Arrowroot powder (like THIS)
  • 15g Diatomaceous Earth – Food Grade! (aka DE, like THIS)
  • 5 drops of Vitamin E (like THIS)
  • 20-25 drops of essential oils (aka EO, which are totally optional, but I love them…like THESE)
Make It-
  • DeoWhipItGoodMeasure both oils, shea butter, and beeswax into the upper part of your double-boiler (for me, this is a glass bowl)
  • Melt on low heat over bottom part of double-boiler (for me, a pot with shallow water) until everything is melted (the beeswax will be the last thing to melt)
  • Turn off heat and allow to cool for a few minutes
  • Add arrowroot, DE, Vit E, and EO; whisk vigorously to fully combine
  • Pour into container and place somewhere safe so it can set up (which actually doesn’t take very long)
DeoMain2
In my latest batch I used Lavender and Patchouli EOs. Why? Well, they smell good.
Oh, and Lavender has some super qualities for skincare (read about essential oils in a post I wrote here). I’ve also used Tea Tree EO, as it also has great antibacterial qualities. Remember though, less is more with EO!
The consistency of this lovely deodorant is firm, yet extremely spreadable. I use my finger to dip out a SMALL amount (seriously…you really do not need much) and just rub it into my armpits. I have not tried this in a roll-on stick, but I do believe it will work, as it is of similar consistency to those that are in roll-ons (but mine is much more smooth and it feels…well, more real, I guess because it is). If you try this in a roll-on, please stop back by and let me know.
And there you have it. Think you’ll give it a try? Let me know when you do! Until next time…
xoxo,
Jess, aka Scratch Mommy
PS Would you love to try this deodorant, but you aren’t always a DIY-ish person (or maybe you are simply lacking time, motivation, supplies, raw products, etc etc etc etc)?
Please, head on over to my Etsy Skincare Shop where I sell this deodorant. I offer three different sizes and two different scents. While you are there, please look around at all of my other skincare creations. I love making them for my family and for all of you!
DeoCloseup


No comments:

Post a Comment