Monday, June 16, 2014

17 Personal Care Products You Will Never Have To Buy Again #10

17 Personal Care Products You Will Never Have To Buy Again


17 Personal Care Products You Will Never Have To Buy Again
Homemade mascara: All natural and eye friendly

Homemade mascara: All natural and eye friendly


Why homemade mascara? For some time now my entire makeup routine has been a dab of lip balm and a quick brush of mascara. But I still wondered if these two little “makeup essentials” were really good for me. Being the hippie-lovin’-green-livin’ type gal that I am, I was pretty sure the answer was “no.” And that’s why I’m here to share my all natural homemade mascara recipe with you.

What is in mascara anyway?

Mascara dates back to ancient Eygpt. Most formulas contain the same basic elements: pigmentation, oils, and waxes. But most mascaras on the market these days have plenty of other “stuff” lurking about them.
Cosmetics are very loosely regulated by the FDA. There is a great deal of freedom for the beauty industry in the formulation of cosmetics. There are some concern for some ingredients found in mascara since they have been found to cause cancer in mice, and others are known to be highly toxic to the human body. (source)
I’ve been using an organic “all natural” mascara for the past couple of years. In fact, I made the switch long before I ditched all my other toxic beauty products. My old “volumizing” mascara made my eyes red and itchy. Apparently allergic reactions are common with mascara users. These reactions are usually attributed to methylparaben, aluminum powder, ceteareth-20, butylparaben, or benzyl alcohol that are often found in mascaras. (source)
But even this (more expensive) organic brand was full of ingredients that I didn’t quite feel safe about. And I’ve been on a “make your own” kick, so why not homemade mascara?

Why I love my homemade mascara

My first attempt at homemade mascara wasn’t very impressive. It worked, but it the results were so subtle that it didn’t seem worth the time. I played around with the mixture, added in some beeswax, and am much happier with what I now have. I can’t call it “water proof,” but I haven’t had any unfortunate raccoon eyes… even after a sweaty dance class. (You can always add more beeswax than what I have in the recipe below to get more of a thicker, waterproof mascara.)
This homemade mascara does a great job darkening, separating, and conditioning the lashes. And my eyes feel so much better using it! I probably won’t be asked to model for Maybelline anytime soon, but I think it does the job nicely.  :)
The recipe is really easy. The hardest part is getting it into the blasted tube. If you have a long syringe (like this) that would probably be best. But I think I’ve come up with a handy little way to get your homemade mascara where it belongs if you don’t have one. Check it out:
All natural homemade mascara.

No comments:

Post a Comment