Plug-in air fresheners are not good for our homes. Like most commercial air “fresheners” they contain toxic chemicals that can be dangerous to our health.
Just some of the side effects of these products include: infertility, headaches, nervous system disorders, memory loss and even cancer. But, luckily, I just came across a fantastic tutorial which reveals how to get rid of this horrible toxic liquid and replace it with health giving, wonderfully fragrant, toxin free essential oils. (via: http://holycrickey.tumblr.com)
1. remove the wick part (which ironically looks like a cigarette) empty and rinse out the bulb
2. find an oil you like. i chose peppermint because its pretty cheap and it makes my house smell cool and clean. i highly recommend orange, lavender, cinnamon, roman chamomile, clary sage, lemon, rose, grapefruit, jasmine or ylang ylang oil.
3. pour the oil into the bulb
4. i fill it up about 1/3 of the way but it will last lay longer if you do the whole thing.
5. fill the rest of the bulb with water, but not to the top or else inserting the wick with make it spill. put the wick back in the bulb.
6. screw it back into the plug in part and enjoy refreshing, healing air that won’t make your hair fall out.