This is a version of the popular King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 2 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 6 chicken breast halves, cooked and diced
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into quarters or strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup chicken broth, divided
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese or a Cheddar Jack blend
Pour about 1/3 cup of the chicken broth over bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan.
Combine the onion, pepper, the remaining 1/3 cup of broth, soups, and tomatoes; stir to blend.
Layer half of the tortilla quarters or strips on the bottom, then half of the chicken and half of the soup and tomato mixture. Sprinkle with a little garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper. Repeat layers. Spread the shredded cheese over the top. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and bake at 350° for 45 to 55 minutes, until bubbly.